Thursday, January 7, 2010

The lasting fragrance

Childhood is the most beautiful phase of our life. We blossom in a secure environment and bloom in our courtyard..it's just amazing. Everything tastes better and more valuable, be it a pack of chips or the food at our neighbours place, which we savour without letting our mother know about it, and then to be scolded and coming to the conclusion that mothers are magicians, one can never hide anything from them.
There was something about aunty that always made me go to her house, her daughter was my best friend and aunty a fairy godmother in disguise. We used to play in her courtyard, I and her daughter who was a year younger than me. Whenever sweets came in their house, a share was kept aside for me. Uncle was a bit..umm..well a little scary...it sometimes gave me the feeling that aunty was like Rapunzel, caged in his three room castle. Nonetheless I was a regular visitor at auntys place. I still remember the day before my birthday, when she asked me what I wanted as a present, I quickly replied..a doll!! Instantly my dad who was standing next to me , pinched me on my hand .. what a perfect pinch it was..aunty could never get to know why I changed my mind instantly and refused a gift completely and my dad could never get to know that I still haven't forgiven him for hampering my prospects of getting a doll :( but I got a nice one on my birthday nonetheless!
There are some people who carve out a special place in our heart and mind, and they never leave it..aunty is one such person..though the visits have stopped.. the memories still linger on in my minds eye.
I can never forget the hands that fed me amazing rice and veggies with a dash of ghee that came from her village, I've never tasted such amazing food ever after that..
Was it the taste of food, her love for me or the innocence of childhood that had cast the magic spell..Now when I look at life as an adult, maybe the picturesque charm of the bygone days has given way to an alert mind, wary of people around me, but certain things never change, a stranger with a lovely smile still makes my day...love can never leave this world coz we thrive on it :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow!
    That was heart touching.
    Congrts for the doll u got.
    A mother's touch removes all the worries.
    In simple words 'All becomes Well.'
    Even I miss food sometimes when i have to cook my own food.
    I think its her love that was over u coz whoever u r or at whatever age, love conquers all.
    Cheers..

    Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thrive on love. So true. Childhood memories are just priceless. Thanks for sharing a piece of your childhood with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminded my of my own aunty who used to give me ghee rice with sugar from her hands. :)
    Childhood days are every so memorable... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nipun, Veena and Issam, it was great sharing my memory with you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your post, it is always a nice read. I think our memories is what helps keep us going, I am always thankful to God for giving us this gift. Have a very nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol... mothers are magicians, cudnt agree more Sana.
    and the perfect pinch, woow..life seemed incomplete without them. But yeah, looking back, these are the memories, the people who touched us and we still adore them and they continue to inspire. are u planning to go pay a visit??
    came here looking for u..how have u been?

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Im glad you did Margaret!emories sure are a gift!

    loooooong time Rush :) glad you came, will write to you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been tagged...
    Chek my blog...

    ReplyDelete